An organized laundry room - Reclaiming Our Spaces series


Welcome back to the Reclaiming Our Spaces series!  This week I focused on organizing the laundry room.  Here is what it looked before I gave this room some love.  

Managing clothes

 Here is the area I tackled first.  I was using mismatched tubs.  I kind of liked the clear ones because I could see what was in them.  But it made my space feel super cluttered in an already naturally cluttery (is that a word?) room.
So, I fixed it.
I added three of these shelf basket thingy-ma-bobs in here about two months ago and they are working out well.  This one holds socks who have lost their mates.  My kids somehow lose them.  I have the lost socks stacked and organized so I can find mates very easily.  Lost socks aren't as big a deal as they used to be.

I've had a specific cheap laundry sorter for at least 15 years.  Once my husband glued the "PCish" parts together I started liking the laundry chore more.  For 15 years is would fall apart if any pressure was applied. I am only 5 feet tall and it's difficult for me to be reach the bottom and be weightless at the same time.  

Since my oldest's room is right next to the laundry room she has a part of the sorter as her laundry basket.  To solve the problem of people's clothes not getting treated for stains I have been using this little label to help over the past 3 years (my laundry room seems to be the ideal place for vinyl chalkboard labels).  And of course, towels and sheets always need a home. 

Managing laundry supplies

 I make my own liquid laundry detergent.  This slim jim really helps with space and does it's job.
I got this laundry tower in 2009 at Lowe's for about $30.  The wheels fall off when I move it and it makes me mad, but I only move it about once a year.  I spent a good amount of time this week trying to glue them on.  One, maybe two, of the four wheels cooperated, so the next time I move it I will be angry again.  But hey, at least it got a super duper good cleaning.  
 Here's what it contains:  1. Lint (kept inside a kid's size shoe box), scissors, safety pins, money, buttons etc.  2. Lingerie washing bags. 3. Rags and wood cleaner 4. More laundry supplies and the manual to the washing machine and dryer.

Storage

I have been to Lowe's three times in the past year to buy another shelf and brackets.  Each time they either have the right size shelf or the right size bracket but not at the same time.  Or they have no shelves and have brackets, etc.  I was dead set on having that all installed before I finished for this post.  Grrr!   You see though that I still have a lot of storage potential going on in here.
 Having a temporary home for the clothes my kids outgrow is really helpful.
Hooks to hang clothes on are so helpful so I use them on both doors so that laundry doesn't spill out.

Lovelies

I have this cute free printable hanging in here to remind me that dirty clothes are not all bad.  I'm sorry I don't remember where I got it.
And I have a cheerful little work elf in here reminding me I'm not the only one working my tail off.  Thanks Mary Engelbreit!  You make my days bright.
Read the process of how I actually do laundry here, as doing it this way was a totally new concept to me, but I still do it this way.
See what Jacqueline worked on at Creative Outpour!
What works in your laundry room?
What doesn't?
What problem do you need to solve?
 Leave a comment!

1 comment:

Jacqueline said...

That slim jim thingy looks pretty cool & I also like the chalk board tags!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...